The placenta is a unique and amazing organ. Grown within a woman’s body exclusively for pregnancy, it not only sustains life for a growing baby but has been well-regarded by many for thousands of years as a powerful healing source reaching far beyond the birthing room. Benefits of these healing properties not only extend to the growing baby, but the nutrient-rich placenta also offers many restorative benefits to mothers after they have given birth.
In nature, many mammals instinctually ingest their placenta post birth. This offers a plethora of benefits to aid in the postpartum recovery process. Humans are able to reap these same benefits. Many mothers who have experienced the wonders of placenta encapsulation report a smoother postpartum recuperation.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Prevention of hormonal imbalance resulting in the decrease of the symptoms of postpartum depression including:
- Mood swings
- Increased energy levels postpartum, decreased fatigue
- Increased lactation- most mothers experience increased milk production 1-2 days after taking pills
- Boosted iron levels which aid in restful sleep
- Increased pain tolerance and decreased cramping postpartum
HOW IS IT DONE?
At Eastern Vitality when it comes to preparation for encapsulation, safety is our highest priority. Christina’s training as an acupuncturist equipped her to properly handle blood and bodily fluids and prevent the spread of disease. She adheres to Universal Precautions, using disposable equipment when possible and vigorous cleaning and disinfecting methods are used to ensure safety. All equipment and work surfaces are properly sanitized prior to and after every encapsulation process.
The process of encapsulation involves gently steaming, dehydrating, grinding and encapsulating the placenta into capsules.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS ONCE YOU CHOOSE ENCAPSULATION?
Once you have made the decision to choose encapsulation, you may consider the following information:
- We offer a free in-person consultation to learn more /ask any questions and fill out intake forms. Alternatively, this information may be sent electronically via email if that is better suited to your needs
- You will need to inform the hospital staff at the location of your delivery that you wish you keep your placenta
- Each hospital has its own policy dealing with letting families keep the placenta. It’s best to find out the policies for yourself so you can prepare ahead of time.
- We advise clients to bring a cooler or cooler bag to the birth. Keep in mind that some hospitals will be helpful and label the placenta and put it on ice, others may put no effort into helping the parents keep the placenta cool.
- We ask that you contact us when you go into labor so that we may prepare on our end. Ideally, the placenta dropped off at Eastern Vitality Acupuncture as soon as possible after birthing.
- From birth until the beginning of processing, the placenta should be refrigerated as much as possible. The placenta should also travel in a cooler with ice. The fresh placenta will stay viable in the fridge for up to 3 days. After that the placenta must be put in the freezer. The placenta will lose a great deal of potency if it is not processed within 6 months.
- Placenta capsules will typically be available to mother for pick up within 48 hours after placental drop off.
*The information on this page has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The services offered are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition. Families who choose to utilize take full responsibility for researching and using the remedies.
Pricing for Placental Encapsulation: $350